The right SSC CHSL preparation strategy and expert guidance are the two essential components to crack the Combined Higher Secondary Level exam with flying colors. All the aspirants should analyze the expert-recommended SSC CHSL preparation tips and formulate their personalized exam strategy accordingly.
Every year, the Staff Selection Commission conducts a competitive examination to recruit eligible aspirants for Group C posts i.e., Lower Divisional Clerk/ Junior Secretariat Assistant and Data Entry Operators for various Ministries/ Departments/ Offices. The SSC CHSL selection process is conducted in two stages, i.e., Tier I & Tier II.
Moreover, candidates who clear all the SSC CHSL exam stages are only featured in the final merit list. As the SSC CHSL Tier I exam is approaching, they should create an SSC CHSL preparation strategy and use the best learning resources to crack the exam in one attempt.
Aspirants must be familiar with the expert-recommended SSC CHSL preparation tips to develop a comprehensive study schedule. Giving equal importance to all the sections prescribed in the official syllabus is crucial. However, the study hours allocated to different sections differ as per the comfort level, ability, and prior subject knowledge of the aspirants. Here is the list of SSC CHSL preparation strategies shared below to strengthen the preparations for the upcoming exam.
Candidates must go through the SSC CHSL Exam Pattern to understand the exam structure, number of questions, maximum marks, and marking scheme specified by the commission. As per the official exam scheme, the tier 1 exam comprises a total of 100 objective-type multiple-choice questions for 200 marks. According to the marking scheme, 2 marks will be awarded for every correct answer, with a negative marking of 0.50 marks for each wrong answer in the Tier I exam. The exam duration is 60 minutes.
The SSC CHSL Syllabus for Tier I is divided into four major subjects i.e. English Language, General Intelligence, Quantitative Aptitude, and General Awareness. Aspirants must go through the official SSC CHSL syllabus to understand the topics mostly asked in the exam. This will help them regulate their comprehensive approach as per the exam requirements. Also, it will allow them to differentiate between important and unimportant topics in the exam. The section-wise SSC CHSL important topics were as follows:
|Subject||SSC CHSL Topics|
|English Language||Spot the Error, Improvement of Sentences, Active/ Passive Voice of Verbs, Fill in the Blanks, Conversion into Direct/ Indirect narration, Shuffling of Sentence parts, Synonyms/ Homonyms, Antonyms, Spellings/ Detecting misspelled words, Cloze Passage, Idioms & Phrases, One-word substitution, Shuffling of Sentences in a passage, Comprehension Passage.|
|General Intelligence||Semantic Analogy, Figural Analogy, Space Orientation, Symbolic operations, Figural Classification, Punched hole/ pattern-folding & unfolding, Symbolic/ Number Analogy, Trends, Semantic Classification, Venn Diagrams, Symbolic/ Number Classification, Drawing inferences, Semantic Series, Numerical operations, Emotional Intelligence, Word Building, Figural Pattern-folding and completion, Number Series, Coding and de-coding, Embedded figures, Figural Series, Critical Thinking, Problem Solving, Social Intelligence, etc|
|Quantitative Aptitude||Number System, Fundamental arithmetical operations, Algebra, Geometry, Mensuration, Trigonometry, and Statistical Charts.|
|General Awareness||National and International Affairs, Culture, Geography, History, Economic Scene, General Policy, and scientific research.|
The right SSC CHSL books and study material will help aspirants to cover all the topics prescribed by the recruitment officials. Ample study resources are available online and in bookstores for adequate SSC CHSL preparation. However, aspirants must pick the books wisely to maximize their chances of clearing the upcoming exam. They must check the online reviews, toppers’ feedback, and expert recommendation before finalizing the SSC CHSL books.
The SSC CHSL previous year’s question papers and mock tests are among the best resources for preparing for the written exam. Aspirants must attempt full-length and sectional mock tests to identify their strengths and weaknesses and improve their problem-solving skills. Along with the mock tests, they should also solve previous papers to understand the past trends and topics from which questions are asked in the past years.
The next SSC CHSL preparation tip is to create short notes for all the topics during the initial phase of the preparation. As the CHSL syllabus is massive, retaining concepts for a longer period is less possible. Thus, the aspirants can use short notes to revise all the concepts regularly, boosting their chances of scoring high in the exam.
Here are the top section-wise SSC CHSL preparation tips shared below for the ease of the aspirants.
The SSC CHSL English section is one of the highest-scoring sections in the exam. The expert-recommended SSC CHSL preparation tips for English are shared below:
- Brush up on grammar concepts and rules to solve a maximum number of questions accurately.
- Read newspapers and novels, and attempt daily quizzes to learn new words daily and improve vocabulary skills.
- Some of the best CHSL English books are Word Power Made Easy by Normen Lewis to excel in the exam.
- Practice unlimited questions from SSC CHSL’s previous year’s question papers and sample papers to improve their weak spots.
The SSC CHSL Quantitative Aptitude section is one of the exam’s most difficult and time-consuming sections. Some of the best SSC CHSL preparation tips for Quantitative Aptitude are shared below:
- Solve previous year’s question papers to improve the calculation speed and learn formulas and short-cut tricks for division, etc.
- Memorize the tables up to 30, and learn tricks to solve cubes, square roots, cube roots, and squares. Also, it is advised to implement all the learned tricks while answering the questions to boost their question-solving speed and accuracy.
- Track your performance after attempting mock tests and improve the weak areas to obtain the desired result in the exam.
The SSC CHSL General Intelligence and Reasoning are one of the trickiest sections in the exam. The expert-recommended SSC CHSL preparation tips for reasoning are shared below:
- Learn the fundamentals from the standard books to solve the questions without confusion.
- Solve unlimited questions from the topics like classification, distance & directions, statement & conclusion, Venn Diagram, ranking order, coding-decoding,
- Clock and calendar, etc.
- Practice previous year’s question papers and sample papers to identify the question pattern and develop a comprehensive approach to solving questions in less time.
The SSC CHSL General Awareness is one of the scoring sections in the exam. If the candidates prepare well for this section, they easily fetch high scores in the exam. The expert-recommended SSC CHSL preparation tips for General Awareness are shared below:
- Read newspapers and current affairs magazines daily to stay updated with the latest trends and events happening around the globe.
- Focus on tables, graphs, maps, etc., to memorize the details easily.
- Attempt current affairs quizzes every day to revise the topics covered so far.
- Focus on the static gk topics for the subjects like History, Geography, polity, and general science and create short notes for each section to remember details for a longer period.