CNC routers are really great machines no doubt. Yes, routers are awesome because they can perform many different tasks, but a computer numerical control router, also simply known as the CNC router, really does take things to a whole new level. The fact of the matter is that these things actually take most of the hard work out of the equation.
You can simply use the computer to enter parameters and instructions for routing, and the computer-controlled machine will do the rest. You need to know what CNC routers can do before you get started though, which is exactly what we are going to cover here.
Top 5 Uses of CNC Routers
Here we want to talk about the 5 main uses of the super convenient CNC router, and as you are about to find out, these machines really are quite versatile.
1. Sign Making – One of the most common uses for the CNC router is to make signs of all sorts. Signs are very complex, often have several components, different cutting depths, patterns, designs, lettering, and more. Doing this with a hand router can be super complex and take a really long time too. However, due to the fact that CNC routers feature a simultaneous 3 axis capability, they are perfectly suited for cutting out complex and in-depth designs. 3D designs, foam, metal, wood, plastic, and other materials and types of sign designs are not a problem for the CNC router.
2. Cabinet Making – Yet another really common use of the CNC router is for making cabinets, specifically for individual cabinet components. You can use a CNC router for CNC milling all of the components of a cabinet including backing, drawers, boxes, shelves, and more.
If you need to achieve a specific size for all of the components, and you want them to have nice designs, but don’t want to take forever to make each component of the cabinet, the CNC router is definitely a great machine to have in your woodworking arsenal. You can easily adjust parameters too, so you can use a CNC router to make all kinds of cabinets.
3. Instrument Creation – The next big time use for the CNC router has to do with making instruments. Now, making instruments by hand is a long, hard, and fairly time-consuming process, and it requires a whole lot of accuracy.
Not only does your accuracy affect the shape and look of the instrument, but it can also affect the sound. Therefore, when making an instrument by hand, even a small difference between 2 separate ones can make a big difference in terms of the sound produced. Therefore, a good CNC router definitely helps, because you can ensure that each instrument made is identical to the other, and therefore they will all sound the same.
A CNC router is a great tool to have for carving the bodies, necks, and all other components of many different musical instruments.
4. Wood Working – Ok, so as you might have figured out by now, CNC routers can perform a whole lot of jobs. When it comes down to it, the CNC router is one of the very best tools out there for woodworking.
Simply put, instead of having to do everything with a table or handheld router, which brings problems of accuracy and repeatability, a CNC router makes quick work out of any project, and you don’t even have to do the heavy lifting.
There is also the fact that because all of the instructions and parameters are programmed right into the machine, you can produce multiple items that are exactly identical. Repeatability is a really big benefit that comes with any high-quality CNC router.
5. Prototyping – If you are starting a new business and need prototypes, or you already have a business and still need to create prototypes, whether it be a scaled down car, architectural project, or anything in between, you can use a CNC router for this too.
Back in the day, so to speak, prototypes were all carved by hand, which is fine, but it does take a long time, repeatability is a problem, and it is just a pain in the neck. With a good CNC router, you can simply enter the instructions into the computer, and let the CNC router do the rest of the work for you.
At the end of the day, this is a great machine that can make your life much easier than you ever thought possible.
When all is said and done, the CNC router is a really convenient machine indeed. When it comes to all kinds of woodworking, whether making cabinets, signs, wood flooring, musical instruments, or prototypes of all shapes and sizes, this is a machine that will make life a heck of a lot easier for you.