Whenever you heard the word night vision, probably you think that is some kind of spy or action movie you are seen, in which someone finds out the people in the dark building or house. You can also think about optics that can enable you to see in the darkness. And, the answer is yes, various night vision optics are available in the market that can allow you to see in the night. These night vision optics especially are built for the dark areas. These night vision optics help to see a standing person over 183 meters away from you in the dark or cloudy night. So, in this article, you can read how the night vision optics works?
Its work depends upon your technology used; we discuss it below:
- Image Enhancement: This technology collects a small quantity of light, which also includes the lower part of the infrared light spectrum and then amplifying it for easily observing the needed image.
- Thermal Imaging: This technology collects the upper part of the infrared light spectrum, which is throwing as heat by optics in the opposite of reflected as light. Hot objects like warm bodies throw more of that light as compare to cooler objects such as trees, bushes, or buildings.
In this article, you can read about the two major night vision technologies that can help you see in the moonlight.
How does night vision work?
Night vision optics or scopes are electronic and technological devices that allow us to see in complete darkness by amplifying the light at that time. Night vision optics is very useful for the military and law enforcement departments. Like you can easily find out the people in the dark environment. It can also use for navigation and surveillance activities. Some people also use it for animal hunting and watching in the night. If you noticed night vision image had contained green light glow at the nighttime. Because it suited better to the human eyes seeing in green pictures for long periods.
Image enhancement systems are also known as night vision devices or NVDs. NVDs have a special tube known as an image-intensifier tube, this tube help to collect and amplify visible light. Let’s discuss how image enhancement works at night:
- The objective lens is also known as a conventional lens collects the ambient light or near infrared light at dark time.
- Then this light is sent to the image-intensifier tube. NVDs contain their power supply from the two n-cell and two “AA” batteries.
- It also has a photocathode, which helps to convert the photons into electrons.
Thermal imaging also plays a very vital role in night vision optics. Let’s discuss how it works:
- Thermal imaging contains a special lens that lens focuses on the infrared light emitted from all objects.
- And, this focused light scanned by the phased array. This detector gave a detailed knowledge about temperature known as a thermogram.
- Then this thermogram converts into electric impulses.