Did you know there are an estimated 51,000 home fires each year caused by electrical issues?
Since most of us take electricity as a convenience and completely for granted, it’s easy to forget just how dangerous it is.
This is especially true for those in older homes where there may be antiquated wiring or ancient appliances.
Preventing an electrical fire in a new home requires attention. So you should be sure to do the following to help prevent dangerous accidents:
Be Cautious to Not Overload Outlets
Just because you have multiple electrical outlets doesn’t mean you should have every plug occupied.
ECE Electricians Townsville explains that it’s also important to pay attention to what you’re plugging into each outlet. For example, it’s not a big deal to have a low wattage lamp and a clock plugged into an outlet with your laptop.
On the other hand, if you’re using one outlet for your laptop, a space heater, and the vacuum cleaner, you’re running the risk of overloading it. So be careful about too many high-powered devices or appliances all in one outlet. Space them out accordingly.
Watch for Shorts
Running electricity through your house is a complex procedure. And on occasion, there could be malfunctions.
In many cases, you’ll see signs of this. It could be buzzing from your switches, or your lights flickering at strange intervals. Perhaps you’re noticing strange occurrences with your devices when they’re plugged in.
These are all signs that you may have a short. And any time the current is not moving through the wires in a consistent fashion, it’s a fire hazard. Preventing electrical fires starts with paying attention to these clues and stop using any of those devices or appliances immediately.
Utilize Surge Protectors
Have you ever lost power temporarily during a storm? It flickers off for a few seconds then pops back on?
In cases like these, there can be a temporary flow of a large amount of electricity into your outlet and cause it to overload. When this happens, it can cause appliances to spark and create a fire.
So as you’re getting ready to outfit your new home with devices and appliances, invest in surge protectors to keep you and your items safe.
Don’t Hesitate on Professional Repairs
Finally, one of the biggest tips for fire safety is to act immediately upon noticing any sort of problem such as those listed above.
Unless you’re a master electrician, you’ll want to enlist the services of professionals when handling electricity. Amateur DIY electricians are another cause of electrical fires!
If you don’t know any professional electricians, simply type up “hiring an electrician near me” on the internet and you’re sure to find the perfect one who will get your electrical back up to snuff and keep you safe.
Don’t Risk an Electrical Fire
An electrical fire is nothing to take lightly. It can cause severe damage to your home and potential injury or death to you or your family.
So keep an eye out for any problems if your new home and take care of them immediately.
In the meantime, keep checking back with our home blog for more helpful advice and tips.