You were excited to start your happily ever after with the front yard and white picket fence, but you got sick after moving into a new house.
Originally you thought you were just run down because of the stress of packing and an overwhelmingly long to-do list, but it’s been weeks now and other family members seem to be getting symptoms as well.
What gives? Is your house making you sick?
It’s a possibility! And more common than most people realize. Keep reading to learn some reasons you may be sick after moving into a new house.
Air or Water Contamination
The air you breath and water you drink are necessary to stay alive, but they can also make you really sick if contaminated.
The air around you can cause a lot of symptoms and health complications. The hard part about this is you need to breathe, and you can’t just decide not to use the air in your house.
There could be any number of sources to an air quality problem.
- Second-hand smoke
- Carbon Monoxide
- Sulfur or Nitrogen Dioxide
- Live Sources
An air quality test will help determine if air is causing issues in your home. Many of the signs of air contamination are respiratory in nature. Though headaches, fatigue, mood changes, and other symptoms are also experienced depending on the problem.
If your issues seem to be more gastrointestinal in nature, you may want to see if it’s been the water that’s made you sick after moving into a new house.
Chemicals, bacteria, and other issues can lead to illness. But the majority of communities have a protocol and safety measure in place to stop this from happening.
There are facilities to treat the water, but just ask Flint Michigan residents about the very real possibility of something going wrong. They’ve been dealing with health repercussions from bad water for years.
It is also a strong possibility if your house uses a well or collected rainwater.
Molds and Dust
This is a common problem when there are house repairs being done. Dust from construction or old dust and molds get unleashed into the air and your lungs from the commotion caused by renovations.
If the house has ever had a leak or there’s been flooding, there’s a possibility of mold under the drywall that isn’t visible just by looking at the wall. Almost every system in your body can develop symptoms from molds with black mold being particularly dangerous.
Lead and Toxins
It could even be the paint on your walls or the old deck out back that’s causing health problems. Especially if the house is old. Lead and other toxins that can cause illness have mostly been regulated out of paints today, but that doesn’t mean you’re completely safe.
Asbestos used to be known as a miracle substance until it left thousands praying for a miracle to cure the health issues it caused. Once used as insulation in houses, it was later found to cause several health issues, including cancer.
Surprisingly, it’s not banned from being used in most states as long as the product contains less than 1% of it.
There may be allergens you weren’t exposed to in your last living space. Consult an allergy specialist or try an OTC allergy medicine to see if that helps.
There could be pet dander from the previous owner’s dog or any number of things that have set off a reaction in you.
If You’re Sick After Moving into a New House, Seek a Professional Opinion
If you’re concerned about being sick after moving into a new house, you should seek medical attention.
You can also get your air quality, water, and house tested for molds, toxins, and other issues.