It is said that bread bags are the next best thing to happen after sliced bread. Bread packaging has grown through leaps and bounds along with the baking industry. Today bread manufacturing is a multi-million dollar industry, so is bread bag manufacturing.
This article will take a look at the latest innovations in bread bag manufacturing and the options available for commercial bread manufacturers and home bakers as well!!
The evolution of bread packaging:
The earliest breads were sold as huge loaves. Families bought these loaves from commercial manufacturers and cut slices as per their requirements at home. The 1930s saw the introduction of sliced bread. The ease of consumption of bread in this method meant the bread sales grew by leaps and bounds. Bakers had to find ways of keeping their bread fresher for longer to survive the huge competition.
Bread manufacturers initially used wax paper to pack bread since it maintained the freshness for longer. As the market for commercially manufactured bread grew, the packing industry also found the need for cheap packaging material that lasted longer and helped maintain the freshness of bread.
The invention of plastic proved a blessing to the bread packaging industry. Plastic wrapping became the norm in the industry, a trend that we see even today.
But as we know, not all plastics are safe. They can at times be toxic depending on how they are manufactured, add to the environmental pollution and toxins, and are the top killers of marine life.
So how is the packaging industry reacting to this aspect of plastic pollution?
Many companies are shifting to the use of eco-friendly plastic in the form of biodegradable poly bags. Plastic and packaging bags made of biodegradable and compostable fabric degrade quickly and safely, reducing plastic pollution by a huge margin.
Advantages of poly bags for bread packaging are:
- Cheap and readily available, making the packaging process cost-effective for manufacturers.
- Resist wear and tear, allowing the package to last longer during its journey from the production line to the customer’s kitchen.
- Keep the bread safe from moisture, air, and insects, improving the shelf life of the contents.
If you are looking for environmentally friendly and safe bread bags Canada, we have listed the types of bread bags for you:
Types of bread packaging:
Whether you have a commercial bread manufacturing unit or are a home baker looking for packaging options, there are two popular types to choose from.
- Wicketed Bags
- Non-wicketed Bags
If you operate bread-making on a commercial scale and are looking for suitable packaging options, wicketed bags are perfect for you. Wicketed bread bags are stacked plastic bags that are held neatly on wire wickets and held in place with a chipboard header and rubber washers.
A wicket is a U-shaped metal wire with two holes in the lip. The lip generally measures 1.5 inches and has starter notches and sometimes side notches.
These bags are a perfect option for fully automated and semi-automated packing processes. They work well for manual packing too. These bags are generally sold in sets of 150 or 250 bags.
If you are a home baker and are looking for simple and cost-effective packaging options, you can choose non-wicketed bread bags. These bags are not bundles with wickets and ideal if you own a home baking business that doesn’t involve a massive production line.
Bread Bags In Canada Buying Guide:
Now that you know the types of bread bags available let us look at some of the tips that will help you buy the best bread bags:
- Always look for food-grade bags made of materials such as polyethylene.
- Transparent bags allow for clear visibility of your product. Look for clear bags.
- Opt for companies that offer custom printing. This will make your job easier.
- Most companies also offer options for online ordering and door delivery.
- Always buy products from reputed companies backed by excellent reviews and customer feedback. You can check online resources to find out about such companies.
- Reputed companies invest in R&D and use the latest technologies available, which is always an advantage for buyers.
- Look for companies that offer bags in multiple sizes and quantities, especially if you are running a large-scale commercial bread-baking business.
To sum up, poly bags Canada has changed the way baking businesses operate. These bags protect your baked products from enemies such as moisture, heat, rain, insects, and general spoilage. Being resistant to wear and tear, bread bags improve the shelf life of bread.
Our comprehensive guide provides key points and tips to consider when buying packaging products such as bread bags.
We hope that these tips will help you make informed choices when you decide to buy your next bread bags in Canada.