Getting paid for playing games online sounds like a dream, but you can make it possible in this day and age. Your parents might have scoffed at you for playing a lot of video games back then. If only they knew how lucrative that hobby of yours would be, they might have invested in tons of consoles for you.
So, how can you exactly earn money by just playing online games? Well, there are several ways to do that. There are platforms and game apps to win real money when you play or participate in them. But first, you need to have some skills. It’s not enough that you know how to play games, you must know how to win too!
Aside from that, you don’t have to worry much about your equipment. You don’t need to have the latest next-gen consoles like Nintendo Switch and PlayStation 5 to start earning from playing games. If you have a PC and a stable internet connection, you can get started right away. Listed below are some of the best ways to earn a few bucks just by playing fun games online.
Join Reward Apps
A quick search online can lead you to several kinds of reward apps. These programs give you real money in exchange for accomplishing simple tasks on their platform. The usual activities would include filling up surveys, watching videos, and using the in-app search engine.
Some of these platforms offer monetary rewards for playing and testing mobile games. Others would pay you cryptocurrency like Bitcoin (BTC) and Ethereum (ETH), for participating in the platform. You can also win real money in some instances, especially if the platform has casino games. You may also earn additional rewards by rating the games and help with their development.
Stream Gameplay Videos On Twitch
Online gaming enthusiasts can earn thousands of dollars each year by video streaming their gameplay on Twitch. However, this comes with more stringent requirements. To start earning, a user must have at least 50 followers, broadcast for at least 500 minutes, have three concurrent viewers, and conduct a minimum of seven broadcasts each month. Twitch users can also earn money by getting sponsors and displaying ads on their channels. Experienced streamers can earn up to $5,000 each month!
Furthermore, Twitch has a tipping system called ‘Cheering,’ where viewers can give ‘Bits’ to their favorite streamers. 100 Bits are equivalent to about $1.40. To acquire or give Bits, users can either purchase them from the platform or watch 30-second ads.
Now you might be thinking that being a Twitch streamer is only for pros, but that’s not true. You don’t have to be extremely good at playing video games. However, you must have passable skills so that you don’t just die at the beginning of the game. A lot of viewers nowadays love streamers that are authentic about their skills. This is actually the appeal of some streamers because their audiences can easily resonate with them.
If you want to try streaming on Twitch, here are a few tips to help you get started:
- Invest in a Stable Internet Connection – Since Twitch is more about live-streaming, you need to have a strong Internet connection so that your display would not get blurry or disconnected. You’ll lose audiences fast if this happens.
- Buy Powerful and Reliable Equipment – A powerful computer is also crucial for the success of your live-stream. You want a PC that can handle streaming and gaming simultaneously. Plus, you also have to think about additional hardware and accessories, like webcams, headphones, and a quality microphone as these peripherals contribute to the experience and comfort of your viewers. You might also want to consider adding a new monitor so you can play the game on one screen and respond to viewers on the other.
- Find Your Niche – Popular games may be fun to play, but you can bet that their market is saturated and the competition for these games is already very high. So, put your focus on games that are not exactly trending, but are still being played by a few hundreds or thousands of gamers. This way, you can provide useful content for that specific group.
- Interact with Viewers – Don’t forget to talk to your viewers and engage with them while you’re live-streaming. Think of them as new friends that you can meet on the platform.
Create Tutorials and Walkthrough Guides on YouTube
Aside from Twitch, YouTube is another viable platform for gamers that want to stream their gameplay. But unlike Twitch, there is no live-streaming on YouTube. That’s why walkthrough guides and tutorials are best for the platform. In YouTube, your earnings are primarily from the ad revenues that your channel gets. Here are the requirements before you can monetize your channel:
- Reach at least 1,000 subscribers
- Accumulate a total of at least 4,000 watch time within 12 months
- Follow YouTube’s community guidelines and other policies
- Set up an AdSense account
Participate In eSports Tournaments
E-Sports provide amateur and professional players a chance to play online through group competitions. These events can garner millions of audiences online. Players can engage in different gaming activities including shooter games, card games, and fighting games.
Top prizes for these gaming events can reach as high as $200,000. When multiple players or teams are involved, earnings are split between the members. The high-quality live stream, the viewport, and the interface on the eSport gaming site allows a viewer to follow different games, view odds, and place bets on teams.
The eSports industry is a highly competitive one. Needless to say, you have to be a pro at certain games to be successful in this venture. If you really want to pursue this path, you must first create a group and play with your friends intensively so that you can build up skills and complement each other’s gameplay. You can then start looking for local tournaments that your team can join. While you’re at it, you can maximize your earning potential by recording and uploading your team’s gameplay videos on YouTube.
Sell Your Gaming Account
Selling your gaming account is another great way to earn money. Some gamers would rather buy a gaming account that is pretty much on a high skill level already instead of painstakingly going through the first few levels themselves. If your character is leveled up and equipped with several gears and rare weapons, you can easily find buyers for that account.
The Bottom Line
Playing online games is a simple and easy way for gaming enthusiasts to make extra cash. There are numerous ways for gamers to make money online. You don’t have to invest in next-gen consoles and expensive equipment to get started. You can simply go to platforms and play short games there for a quick buck. You can also record and upload your gameplay videos and tutorials on YouTube. However, some require more skill and equipment, especially if you want to be a Twitch streamer or an eSports player.