The biggest challenge in managing your finances is learning how to reduce your monthly expenses. This might not be a walk in the park, but with determination, it is easily achievable. Some of the ways you can reduce your living expenses are stated below:
We use different gadgets to help us get through the four seasons, especially the hot summers and colder winters. Consequently, this translates to higher energy bills. However, with little changes here and there, you can reduce the money spent on electricity significantly. You can easily reduce expense on electricity by adopting a more frugal lifestyle. Using energy-saving gadgets is an effective way of cutting power bills. It is possible to reduce your energy costs by as much as half if you focus on your power consumption needs and only use your power when it is necessary. Some of the ways to cut down the power bills include;
• Using LED bulb lights, which are about four times more energy-saving than the normal bulb.
• Getting rid of all energy drainers: You should unplug all the electrical devices that you rarely use or don’t use at all.
• Ditching your dryer for a laundry rack.
• Turn off lights in the rooms that you are not using.
• Air sealing your home: Cool air loss in the summer and hot air loss in the winter increases your utility bill significantly.
• Lowering the temperature on your water heater: Lowering the temperature to around 60 degrees Celsius and also insulating all exposed hot water pipes will help you save some money monthly.
Cars are a luxury you can afford to lose and in return save some amount of money. To maintain a car, some expenses always come in like gas, insurance, and parking fee. So, how can you reduce these costs and still manage to go on with your day to day activities easily?
• Use public transport: By using public means, you can save on gas, insurance, and parking fee for the cost of a small fee. You can easily maneuver from one end of town to the other; you can get to work or even attend events using public transport.
• Sale off a rarely used car: You might not save a lot on this except for insurance costs and probably use the sales proceeds to reduce one of your debts.
• Carpooling: If an opportunity to share a ride arises, you should always take it. You will save on gas and in the long run the wear and tear on your wheels.
All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. You cannot live without entertainment, but you can live without expensive entertainment. Some forms of entertainment are too expensive. You can get the same thrill you get from them through some inexpensive ways like;
• Cutting your cable from premium to basic or cutting it completely and finding some cheaper ways to access your favorite shows.
• Canceling club memberships: If some of your membership like the gym or your local country club memberships are rarely used, you can as well do without them instead of incurring that extra cost of nothing.
• Finding inexpensive entertainment options like the library or volunteering in your local organizations.
If you keenly look at your budget, you will find that you waste a lot of money on purchasing excess foods or eating expensive takeouts that you could have easily made at home. Below are some ways to save some money on food;
• Cook your meals at home and carrying the leftovers for lunch to work.
• Start a garden in your backyard to save on the cost of buying vegetables.
• Buy non-perishable goods in large quantities: When goods are bought in large quantities, their cost per unit significantly reduces.
A good payment cycle for your debts will see you paying off some of your debts. This will consequently translate to less monthly bills to settle and more money to save. There are so many ways to reduce your debts. Just to highlight on a few;
• Have an automatic debt repayment plan: This will ensure that you never miss one payment and save you on the penalties attracted due to that. Some student loans also have an offer if you sign up for automatic monthly billing.
• Sell unused items and use the proceeds to settle a debt and get over with it.
Adopting a saving life is not easy for many people. In a bid to try to fit in, most people are spending beyond their means. If you want to enjoy a life free of financial burdens, try saving on your energy expenditure, transport, and food among others. You can make adjustments to these expenditures by cutting unnecessary spending such as eating out or driving to work daily.
Trying the above methods is your ticket to a financially transformed future.
To read more on topics like this, check out the finances category.