If you look around you’ll realize that water is everywhere. The Earth is approximately 71% water. However, roughly 96% of this water is in the oceans. That makes it saltwater that can’t be drunk. Approximately half of the remaining 4% is in the air or frozen as glaciers.
In short, just 2% of the available water on the planet is potentially usable as drinking water! Fortunately, the water cycle ensures that all water is recycled, that 2% of water goes through the cycle, and can be used by humans over and over again.
Understanding Why Water Filtration Is Essential
Water falls as rain and its relatively pure, it may pick up trace elements as it falls through the air but is generally considered pure. Once it hits the ground it moves with gravity toward the nearest river or lake. It eventually aims are to get into the sea.
However, as it passes through the ground t will pick up an array of contaminants. These can be minerals from the rocks it’s passing through, chemicals from factories and farms, and even bacteria that are living on the planet. It will also accumulate debris, that’s small particles which can be visible or invisible.
All of these things can be detrimental to your health. That’s why all water needs to go to a treatment plant and be filtered before it is sent to your home.
Unfortunately, the issue doesn’t end there. The treatment plant will filter the water and add chemicals to kill bacteria, effectively making it safe to drink. The water must meet a specific standard before leaving the plant.
However, there are miles of pipes between the plant and your home. As the water travels through these pipes it can be exposed to more contaminants. These are absorbed by the water reducing the water quality when it reaches your home.
The only way to ensure the water coming from your faucet is safe to drink is to use a filtration system, such as these water filters Sydney.
How Filtration Works
The exact process will depend on which type of filter you are using. The basic principle is that the filter traps debris and specific particles, removing them from the water, effectively ensuring the water is clean.
All the water must pass through the filter, allowing it to remove the contaminants. The filter will need to be checked and either cleaned or replaced regularly.
The contaminants removed will depend on the type of water filter you have chosen. Aerated carbon is a good general filter while reverse osmosis focuses on removing minerals. This softens the water as cleaning it.
You’ll need to speak to a professional regarding which is the best option for your home, it will depend on the quality of your water supply. It’s a good idea to have your water supply tested and look at all the options before choosing your water filtration system.