Great copywriting is the key to bringing your brand and business to life. It channels your brand essence and personality, connects prospects and customers to your values, products and services, and helps to make a lasting impression that can give you a competitive advantage when it comes to growing your business. Adopt these top 20 great copywriting habits for first-class copy that drives brand awareness, attracts new customers and ultimately grows your business.
- Collaborating with a copywriting services provider can help you to achieve professional, expert copy while saving time and resource.
- You may think you know your brand inside and out, but it’s always best to refer to your brand guidelines to ensure your copy represents your brand accurately.
- Be concise – this is especially true for web copy. Your audience will have limited time and attention, so your copy has to make a big impact in the shortest time possible.
- Strong structures and visual cues will make your copy even more digestible. These could be clear headlines, good paragraph structure, bullet points and text formatting.
- A super simple but important tip: make your copywriting take charge with an active rather than passive voice.
- Images, video, icons, animations and infographics will all bolster your copywriting, helping you to highlight key messages and keep your audience engaged.
- Build in facts, statistics, case studies and testimonials to give your claims credibility.
- Keep things positive. Negative phrases and language can leave a lasting negative impression in your readers’ minds.
- Map out your customer journeys and what information will be required where by your audience. This will make your copy is useful and customer-centric.
- It’s likely that you’ll have several types of prospect or customer within your audience. Segment them by key attributes, develop personas for each, and plan how your copy should vary for each.
- Avoid jargon and corporate speak to keep your copywriting simple and easy to understand.
- Don’t presume to know what your audience will or won’t respond well to. Be brave and test different formats and styles of content to find which resonates best.
- Storytelling will draw your audience in and will keep them engaged. Think about how your favourite brands use storytelling to bring their copywriting to life, and mimic this in yours.
- A key goal of great copywriting is to build your voice as a credible, trustworthy brand. Clear, honest copywriting will help you achieve this.
- Give each piece of copywriting a main purpose, and make sure you keep it in mind. Refer to it constantly to keep your writing focused and relevant.
- Log out of your emails, find a quiet spot in your office, work from home or shut the world out with headphones.
- Track engagement using an analytics package and on-page metrics such as scroll depth, time spend on page and pages per session.
- Great copywriting is pointless if no one can find it. Share it across your social channels and via email, and ensure every piece is SEO-friendly.
- Take note from competitor activity. What are they doing well and where are they missing the mark? You can use this to inform and improve your own copywriting.
- Always end with a clear call-to-action, to drive your audience along the sales funnel and closer to conversion.
Take your brand passion and knowledge as well as your genuine desire to help your audience and grow your business – and channel them into these top 20 copywriting habits. You’ll be producing engaging, meaningful copy that drives customer satisfaction and gets you closer to your business goals in no time at all.
To read more on topics like this, check out the lifestyle category.