Looking for ways to entertain your children inside the home? Here are some fun activities that will keep them occupied.
Crafts and Games
A classic indoor activity, arts and crafts have the ability to spark your child’s creativity.
- Coloring. There are plenty of free coloring pages online; print out pages that will interest your kids, and get out the markers, crayons and colored pencils.
- Games. Are your kids bored with the board games in your family room? Search online for “print and play” games, download, print and enjoy!
- Puppets. Gather materials for creating puppets; all you need are paper bags, old socks, fabric scraps, colored paper, string and imagination.
- Greeting Cards. Even your youngest can design cards online that will thrill friends and family. Just make sure your printer has plenty of ink!
Fun Learning Activities
Who says learning can’t be fun? Check out these ideas for more educational activities.
- Science. Several websites provide instructions for experiments kids can do at home. They’ll love making bottle tornadoes, slime, lava lamps and more.
- Math. Print or create counting, matching, “find the differences” worksheets for young kids, and challenging math skills worksheets for older kids.
- Jigsaw Puzzles. When kids want new puzzles, look for templates online; simply print, glue the page to cardboard, and cut the pieces along the lines.
- Model Building. Stock up on kits. Kids love making model airplanes, marble runs, action figures and vehicles. This could even turn into a lifelong hobby.
Keep your kids happy and healthy with some activities for both mind and body.
- Gardening. Planting, watering and weeding flowers and vegetables gets kids outdoors. They may even learn to love eating the veggies they grow!
- Backyard Obstacle Course. Collect hula hoops, pool noodles, boxes, balls, jump ropes, pieces of wood, chairs. They’ll have as much fun building it as using it!
- Dancing. Put the music on and stop it randomly; those who don’t “freeze” in time are out. Or, encourage your kids to make up themed dance contests.
- Balloon Volleyball. Create a net using string or pool noodles, and let the kids volley the balloons across it. This activity is safe to do in the house as well.