Chairs in our lives – how much do we underestimate their role? This is such an important element of our everyday life, however, we are in no hurry to give it a lot of time and attention. Today we will pay tribute to this piece of furniture, which can bring both joy and suffering to our lives. In this article, we will discuss such an element as an office chair.To see more options for different office chairs, visit Room service 360. All the furniture in their store is of high quality, they can also help you with the selection.
Every day (except on days off, of course) we use office chairs at work, at home when working at the computer or even reading a book. Office chair and armchair are beautiful, not only because they provide all of us with the maximum level of comfort, but also because thanks to them you can be mobile. It’s convenient, isn’t it? You don’t have to get up to pass documents to a colleague, print out paper, or connect the power supply. And spinning on a chair around its axis is a very exciting activity and even a great workout for the legs.
But not all office chairs are the same. They come in different styles, can be made of different materials, differ from each other in quality, and can also be made in different colors. Of course, most of the chairs are made in “office” shades of black or blue.
The saddest thing is to spend a lot of money on an office chair that will not fit you in the end. That is why we will tell you about the things that you should pay attention to first of all when buying this piece of furniture.
What kind of chair back do you need?
There are three types of backrests for office chairs. All of them differ from each other only in the height of the back itself. Modern manufacturers produce:
- Low-back seats: typically, they have a base with five legs, each of which has a wheel attached, a small padded seat, a low back, and a height control for the chair itself. Orthopedists do not recommend using this type of chair, because the low back does not provide any support to your spine. As a result, sitting in such a chair for a long time is like going to hell. A stiff lower back, shoulders, and neck – that’s what you are guaranteed when buying such a chair with the prospect of a long stay in it.
- Mid-height backrests: they have not only a more comfortable design that provides support for your shoulders and neck, but they also feature a wider seat, as well as a larger set of additional features. In addition to adjusting the height of the chair, these office chairs can be fixed in a certain position or switch to the “free float” mode when you want to sit back and relax a little. Also, when using such a chair, you can control the degree of deviation of the backrest.
- High-backed chairs: have all of the above features, and also provide support for your neck and head. The backrest can be either one-piece or with a headrest that protrudes slightly forward for greater human comfort.
Almost certainly, when buying, you will choose a chair with a medium or high back. However, this is not the only parameter that should be considered when choosing such a chair.
- Material: What is the chair made of – leather, leatherette, or fabric? Leather may seem like a great choice as it is easier to clean, which is convenient to use especially in the office space. However, think about how much you will sweat in the summer, sitting on a leather chair. The skin does not breathe at all, it glides and makes sounds that are not always pleasant to the ear when moving on it. Besides, the repair of leather furniture items is very, very expensive.
- Armrests: It is a matter of personal choice whether you want a chair with or without armrests. Some prefer without, because it gives more freedom of movement, while others like the sense of integrity and security that creates a chair with armrests. If you can not decide, then a win-win option is to buy a chair with removable armrests. Thus, you can change your preferences in terms of their availability, depending on your mood and needs at a given time.
- Height adjustment lever: It is usually located under the seat and connects to the base of the seat and the seat. If you push it down, you will lower the chair if you are in a sitting position. By pulling it up and getting out of the chair, you will raise the level of the seat.
- Back position control: this function is perfect for supporting your spine. The lever allows you to adjust the degree of reclining of the backrest in both directions. For a relaxed position, the back should be tilted back relative to you, and for proper support of the spine – pull forward.
- Five-legged base: this is the base a good chair should have. At the end of each leg is a wheel enclosed in a special roller that allows the chair to travel on carpets and paths.
- Massage function: Of course, this function is optional. For an office chair, this is not a necessity at all, but just a nice addition, which, however, can increase the cost of the chair several times.
Many interesting options for office chairs, you can see here. If you have taken into account all the above points and have taken a good look at a particular chair, you should sit in it and feel how comfortable the chair is for you. If the chair is of high quality, it will have all the necessary settings, with which you can vary its design, adjusting it exclusively for yourself. However, it is worth understanding that not every office chair you can adjust for yourself to get maximum comfort. When it comes to buying an office chair, the main criterion is the price at which you are ready to purchase this piece of furniture. If you are not willing to pay a lot, you get, accordingly, also a little in terms of available features and characteristics. Besides, it should be understood that the quality of materials and assembly also fully corresponds to the price of the product. Inexpensive versions of office chairs are perfect for placement in those parts of the office that are not used constantly – in meeting rooms, recreation rooms, etc. But as permanent furniture for office workers, they are unlikely to be suitable.
If you are willing to pay more for good quality, be sure to invest in an office chair for yourself. Also, do not forget that you need to buy office chairs only in trusted stores. Rest assured, even the most expensive chair is worth the money, especially in the long run. A good chair will provide reliable support to the back and maintain the health of the spine for many years. This way, you will protect yourself from back, neck, and shoulder pain, as well as from going to the doctors.