Scroll saws are an excellent tool to cutting various materials at home. Here is a list of the best scroll saws to use at home.
If you’re a DIY, woodworking master, then a scroll saw may be a necessity for many household projects. Their ability to create the most delicate cuts and curves is unbeatable.
But what else does a scroll saw do, how important are they, and which scroll saws are best for use at home?
We’ve got your answers with this simple guide to the best scroll saws to use in all your household projects.
What Are Scroll Saws?
First things first, if you’re into woodworking or simply like cool household projects, then you have likely heard of scroll saws. If not, here’s the gist:
Scroll saws are small, often pedal-powered, or electrically operated saws. Their tables pivot, making cutting materials easier.
They are perfect for creating beautiful, delicate, and intricate cuts and curves. They have a very fine blade that makes more gently delicate cuts than a jigsaw or coping saw.
In other words, they are the artist’s saw. They get their name from their original use of making scrollwork, a.k.a. sculptural ornaments like those seen on scroll-head designs.
Now, on to the top 3 scroll saws for you DIYers to use at home.
DEWALT DW788 Scroll Saw
If you like DIY woodworking projects, but hate the noise, the DEWALT DW788 scroll saw is a great compromise. Its quiet and smooth operation make for perfect cuts.
- An oversized, cast-iron table that can bevel to the left and right
- It has a double-parallel link arm so you get highly accurate cuts with little noise
- Includes an arm lift so the blade can be threaded through materials for inside cuts
- The arm design keeps your blade perfectly perpendicular to your work so that you don’t have to do tons of over and under cutting
Hegner 18” Variable Speed Scroll Saw
If you’re the type that when you buy a new tool, you want the best, then the Hegner 18″ is your saw. It may be the best scroll saw of its size.
It’s 2.83 Amp induction motor makes it perhaps the most massive scroll saw motor in its class.
- It’s highly precise
- It has a double Quicklock tensioning system
- It comes with a 7-year manufacturer’s warranty against defects
- It comes with an electronic variable speed induction motor
The variable-speed induction motor makes creating cuts of different sizes and intricacies easier.
WEN 3921 Scroll Saw
The WEN 3921 16″ scroll saw is perfect for the most artistic designs. It comes equipped with a 2-direction variable speed. It’s other features include:
- 9/16-inch stroke that can cut hardwoods up to 2 inches thick
- It comes with an adjustable air pump to clear the sawdust from the cutting area.
- It comes with an adjustable work light to make your work more visible
- It comes with a foot clamp to hold the material in place
- A cast iron base to prevent walking and vibration during cutting
This scroll saw is one that’s excellent for woodworkers looking to make custom designs and marks on their projects.
Get Your Project Started
Now that you’ve got the low down on the best scroll saws out there, you can get your DIY furniture or woodworking project rolling.
For indoor decorating ideas to give you some inspiration, browse the Lifestyle portion of our blog.