Are you lucky enough to have eyewitnesses to your car accident? If answered yes, they can be utilized as a vital tool to prove your case and win the compensation that you deserve for your losses. If you make the best use of your eyewitnesses, you along with your car accident attorney will need to carefully understand the questions that you should ask him.
A car accident attorney is the best person to seek help from in case you are involved in an accident. But what are the various questions that you should ask a witness? Here is a list that you can take into account.
- Relate in your own words how the incident occurred
This is one of the best questions to ask initially as it lets the lawyer and the client get a non-biased narrative of the events that led to the accident. The witness might add details that you may not have thought of. As you allow the witness to speak on his own terms about the accident, you can ask follow-up questions that could possibly fill in some important gaps.
- Did you get an inkling of the crash before it occurred or when it was about to occur?
It will be of much help when you get to know what caught the attention of the witness. Did they know there was a problem until they heard the sound of the impact? Or are they in no good position to comment on the way the accident took place? In case they saw what happened that led to the accident, they might become valuable witnesses for providing facts on how the accident occurred.
- Can you speak in detail about how the accident occurred?
Next is the time to ask about the details. Below is a list of some questions that you may ask to get more specific about how the pollution occurred.
- Inside Which lane was the vehicle?
- Can you give an idea about the stretch of the road?
- How fast was the vehicle traveling?
- Did any of the vehicles try to Slam their brakes?
- Where did the vehicles travel soon after the accident?
- How fast did the accident occur?
- Were you witness to damaged property or debris from another vehicle?
- How far were you when the accident occurred?
You can’t forget the fact that a witness with the best intentions might not always be in the right position to notice and observe the details of an accident. This is why it is important to know how far the witness was from the spot of the accident. His answer will let you gauge the reliability of his statement. The closer they were to the scene of the accident, the more credible will be their observations.
So, whenever you are all set to ask questions to an eyewitness of your car accident, make sure you include the above-listed questions. Getting the right answers will help you build a strong case and boost the chances of receiving a deserved compensation.