The first thing that comes to mind when we think about blocked drains is that they will smell bad. Unfortunately, this is just a small problem when compared to what a blocked drain can cause.
There are actually different reasons why you want to contact an unblock drains Melbourne plumber as soon as you notice blocked drains. These will create some very serious problems. They can affect your health and can cause significant structural damage to your home.
While you cannot do anything about blocked drains that are outside your home, those that are inside are completely your responsibility. Whenever you notice one blocked, the best thing you can do is to contact a professional.
Blocked Drains – Causes
Many blocked drains are actually self-inflicted, which means they are caused by people inside the home. Others are the cause of outside influences. Some of the main causes that are often identified are:
- Pipe blockages
- Structural defects
- Improper materials being flushed
- Broken pipes
- Tree roots entering the drains
The Undesirable Effects Of Blocked Drains
Besides water resurgence, which we all know about, blocked drains can also lead to:
- Water Stagnation – If water stays in the blocked pipe, harmful bacteria soon appears. Waterborne health problems develop and the health of everyone that comes into contact with the bacteria is negatively affected.
- Foul Smells – These compromise life quality, will pollute the air and can easily lead to stress, poor sleep, anxiety, irritability and headaches.
Health Risks Of Blocked Drains
Water that is contaminated easily transmits parasites, bacteria and viruses. These can reach our body through skin contact, cuts and even sometimes through simply breathing. Unfortunately, some really serious health problems can appear due to blocked drains, like:
- E-Coli – With symptoms like liver damage, diarrhea, fever and stomach cramps.
- Weil’s disease – This is transmitted through the urine of rats, which are animals that love food debris and water. A blocked drain is very attractive for rats. Flu-like symptoms appear and in some severe cases, it can lead to internal bleeding and even organ failure.
- Encephalitis – This is a viral inflammatory disease. It is transmitted through the eggs of mosquitos. The most common symptom is mild fever but it can lead to paralysis and convulsions.
- Infections in your throat, nose and eyes
Blocked Drains Prevention
As you can see, numerous really serious health problems can appear due to blocked drains. This is why you want to take preventive measures, like:
- Do not flush items like sanitary towels, condoms and wipes. They can easily get stuck.
- Do not pour food debris and hot oil down your kitchen sink. Oil needs to get cool and then be disposed of in your bin.
- Always clean and inspect roof guttering and outside drains. You want to fit the drain guards and nets to be sure that debris does not build up.
Take all the time you need to be sure that your drains are as clean as possible and go through proper maintenance tasks, as dictated by professional plumbers.